This name derives from the Old English place name “Beverlacum”. In 1067 the name was changed to "Bevreli", as recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name is composed of two Old English elements: “beofor” (beaver) and “lacu” (stream, pool, water aggregation). In turn this name derives from the Proto-Germanic “*bebruz *lakō”. The name is both given name and surname, used mainly in female form.